1966 Porsche 911 /912/914/924 Transmission, Synchro Ring, 1st-5th Gear
- 911 1965-1971 5ea Required
- 911 1972-1986 3ea Required
- 912 1965-1969 5ea Required
- 912E 1976 3ea Required
- 914 1970-1976 5ea Required
- 924 Turbo 1979-1980 2ea Required
- The Cure For Hard Shifting
The synchro rings are friction rings that spin up the transmission to match the drivetrain prior to shifting. This allows the gears to mesh without grinding. As soon as the synchro rings begin to wear, then the gears start to mesh at different speeds, resulting in gear grinding.
Synchro rings should be replaced as soon as gears begin to grind. Failure to do so will result in damage to the sliders and the synchro hubs which are much, much more expensive to replace.
Don't get worn out stressing about crunching gears - replace your synchros.